Saturday, 5 February 2011

I did it!


I survived the 7km Sun Run from Dee Why to Manly, and my time wasn't too embarrassing; 53 minutes and 47 seconds.

After a very short training lead up (for which I have Nicole and Nikki at Contours Mona Vale to thank for getting me there) , and being hit with 25 degrees Celsius heat at 6:30am this morning I was a little nervous about how I'd go. But the good news is that I didn't need to call on a hot paramedic to treat me for heat stroke, and I finished the race jogging-with heat stroke, but nothing that a quick hit of Gatorade after the race and lots of water couldn't fix.

I'll admit there were a few times when I was walking up hills, and my legs were like jelly from the build up of lactic acid, and dehydration. So I'm not feeling brilliant about the event, but I am feeling good that my fitness was there, and I controlled my head (when I couldn't control heat exhaustion) enough to run when I could and push through it.

A big thanks goes out to the family out the front of their house with the hose on, offering runners some respite from the heat with a hose shower on the run, and to the house that was playing the Rocky theme-you helped me find my rhythm again.

The biggest thanks goes to my super determined friend who always inspires me to achieve more.

So now I have the bug and my next event to train for....I'm following the same friend who got me in to this run in a mini triathlon in just 3 weeks.....I don't know how I'm going to get a bike sorted in that time and get swimming, but it is a bloody good goal to keep me motivated.

No comments:

Post a Comment