Wednesday, 9 February 2011

Local tourists



Last night Mark and I needed to run some errands in the city (Sydney) which luckily for me landed us right next to the Queen Victoria Building (QVB). After a spot of window shopping, dreaming of having a Coach handbag in my hot little hand, and Bally heels on my feet, I went the root which my pay check allows. I grabbed some autumn work staples from Paper Scissors, which is one shop that I can always go in to and walk out with something that makes me feel great, and doesn't break the bank. And then I was directed to a hot pair of shoes at Kagui, which I purchased for an event this weekend....you might just see them here soon.

So after a spot of shopping, and wandering around the city we developed a hunger, and a slight thirst. I contacted a great friend who lives in the city and asked for a recommendation of where to eat (our Monday morning catch ups tend to revolve around what we ate on the weekend), she suggested two great places, yet on the way to one of them I walked past a venue that I've been wanting to go to for quite some time. I marched up the steps, checked out their menu and Mark and I decided we would have dinner there.

We walked in to The Arthouse Hotel, and did a lap of the downstairs bar whilst admiring the many artworks on the walls, before venturing upstairs to the restaurant, where pleasant surprises awaited us. The perfect lighting, dome ceiling and welcoming seating at the dinner table were just the beginning. For entrees I enjoyed a lobster bisque that had a very generous portion of lobster, whilst Mark savoured (and shared) a seafood tasting plate which included a delicious prawn tartlet with a perfectly crisp pastry that he paired with a pinot grigio. Mains were equally delicious, I had mushroom and ricotta agnolotti with brown butter and porcinni dust, whilst Mark had eye fillet of beef, with fondant potatoes, confit onions and bone marrow with a glass of shiraz which went down nice and smoothly. We would have liked to have room for dessert, but we were sufficiently stuffed from our full flavoured entrees and mains. As we left the restaurant with very happy tummies we thanked the chef for a great night by exchanging a friendly wave.

After such a great night, and dare I say date with my partner of nine years, we have decided on two things (1) we will definitely go back to The Arthouse Hotel, and maybe even have a staycation so that I can enjoy the wine list (2) we need to be tourists in our own backyard more often, explore, and enjoy the adventure of just stumbling upon things. It is too easy to get too busy and forget how great Sydney is, not just the city, but also it's surrounds. So, I'm off to research what tourists do in Sydney, I bet I'm missing out on an awful lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment