Friday, 25 March 2011

Service last

Thanks to OurDeal another bargain came along with the offer of a 3 week trial for $30 at a massive gym, which I refuse to name because it doesn't need any publicity. Admittedly, I've been to this gym many years before, and I'm not a fan of their get rich quick tactics that can often result in members getting injured from using machinery incorrectly as they are unsupervised. But, tonight I walked in with a clear mind and a positive attitude....unfortunately, I didn't leave with the after exercise rush that I was looking forward to.

Instead, after an hour of cardio, an attempt at using a weights machine with no assistance, and a quick lap around the weights area to see if I could get someone to help me, I stormed out of the gym very unimpressed. If I had never been to a gym before and was completely unaware of the damage I could do to myself it is highly possible that I would have injured myself by trying to work out this machine. What makes matters worse is that I did tell the membership advisor that let me in and asked a few questions that I hadn't been to a gym for about 10 years-after some maths on the treadmill I worked out that it has been 8 years since I was a gym junkie, and I dabbled a little in BodyPump classes at my uni gym, which would have been about 4 years ago. On top of this, unlike my previous exercise experience at Contours, I wasn't asked to fill out any medical forms, or monitored whilst jumping on the elliptical trainer, or any other machine.

Lets hope the classes are better supervised and as enjoyable as the classes that I have experienced at my uni gym in the past. But, I'm not getting my hopes up.

All in all, first impressions always count, and in my experience, it seems like the major gyms marketing plan of providing a bargain on OurDeal has all been undone by the blaze staff. If I do decide to join a local gym over the cooler systems, this one has done a great job at completely wiping itself off the shortlist in the first 10 minutes of me being there.

How was my workout you ask? I spent 10 minutes on the elliptical trainer (but couldn't tell you how far I went because the fast start function didn't want to work for me), then I spent 30 minutes on the treadmill using the incline function a bit, changing between speed and incline (I forgot to check the distance on that machine, but my heart rate was at 152bpm a few times which wasn't bad), I spent 20 minutes on the bike (which again I had issues with the computer after programming my age and weight, it seemed to crash after 10 minutes), and then rowed for 10 minutes. And after all of that I walked home, I'm not sure if it was the lack of energy, or lack of motivation that stopped me from running. I'll let you know how I go tomorrow night.

No comments:

Post a Comment