Wednesday, 12 December 2012

Caffeine Free


About a month ago I decided it was time for me to reduce my caffeine intake, and I decided to go cold turkey. There were a few motivators for this; I realised that I was drinking 5 cups of tea a day and still feeling tired, was waking up at 3am every morning and (over-share warning) I had a Nana bladder.

So, how was my first caffeine free week? I'm not going to lie to you, the first two days were horrendous even though I was armed with delicious herbal teas and my big water bottle at my desk. I started on Tuesday  (don't even talk to me about Mondays) and whilst I really wanted a tea I didn't crack, so I progressed in to day two with confidence. That was until 10:30 hit and a sharp knife started jabbing at my right temple. A few months ago that probably would have had me out and I would have conceded to the tea, admitting defeat and pretending that I didn't really want to win the battle anyway. However, I stuck it out (avoided pain killers for obvious reasons) and by Wednesday I was feeling good. The best part was that by 8pm that night I felt really tired, and I finally started sleeping through the whole night. I couldn't remember when the last time was that I did that.

On Wednesday night I realised that I was really missing milk now that I wasn't drinking tea, so I had half a mug of warm milk. Yes, I know milk isn't part of a strict Paleo diet (if you read my Paleo treats post), but I have learnt (the hard way) that I'm not good at strict diets....that's a whole other post.

When Thursday afternoon hit I had finished all my T2 detox tea and needed to get some more. I planned to go to the mall at Friday lunch time, but when 2pm hit I noticed that I had completely forgotten about the tea. This was a big achievement. I had taken control of my need, and it was no longer consuming me-see what I did there :-p

Friday was a walk in the park, and when all 6 of my friends had coffee after dinner on Friday night I still said no, even though that coffee smelt so good.

My plan was to last until my birthday which was only a few short weeks away from when my caffeine detox started. Then I would ask my husband to spoil me with one of his home roasted, home ground coffees. I SURVIVED and man, did that coffee taste AMAZING! And everyone who saw me that day was well aware of the caffeine buzz I was on.

Am I still caffeine free I hear you ask. Bluntly, no. But I kicked my habit, and lasted without caffeine for over a month which felt like a huge achievement. I have herbal teas to thank for this, because I do love a warm drink, oh, and the occassional cheeky warm milk before bed when I really was craving a hot chocolate-yes people, there is caffeine in chocolate.

Why, after kicking the habit am I consuming caffeine again? Because, to me a great tea or coffee is like a fine wine; in moderation it does you good. And I LOVE the flavour! That said, I have gone from having 5 caffeinated beverages a day to having one every other day, and I'm no longer waking up in the middle of the night.

Sadly I have to confess to purchasing a disgusting coffee yesterday to try and get through a day of work with  a nasty head cold which has had me in bed for most of today (forgive me if half of this post doesn't make sense, because I have caught myself doing some dumb-ass stuff today). And if you haven't already guessed, I absolutely struggled to fall asleep last night. I learnt two things from this 'refresher course'; crap coffee is not worth putting in your body (or paying for) and I am very spoilt for choice as my husband buys green beans, roasts them at home, and spoils me with an amazing coffee every few weeks-that or he takes me to Coffee Brothers where they also make coffee with love.

No comments:

Post a Comment