Wednesday, 4 September 2013

The Bourbon

Many weeks ago now Mark and I met for Friday night dinner with my sister and her boyfriend at The Bourbon in Potts Point. And might I say it was the perfect start to the weekend.

We enjoyed pre-dinner drinks at the bar whilst relaxing in luxurious wing backed bar stools that hugged you-perfect for someone with a baby belly.....don't worry, I was a good mummy-to-be and stuck to the mocktails before sitting down to our table for dinner.

Every plate of food that arrived at the table smelt and looked amazing. It had so much flavour and soul in it that it made me want to go to New Orleans. I guess that is why I don't have any food photos to share with you...we couldn't wait to eat it. I guess such a standard isn't really a surprise since the Head Chef is James Metcalfe who formally was cooking at Becasse and Etch.

The Jambalaya; spiced risotto, prawns, chilli (wow yeah, the chilli was hot), lime, bacon, smoked sausage and watercress was bloody delicious and for $25 it was one of the best value mains for taste factor that I've had in a long time. Everyone had food envy for my dish :-) One of the best things about dining with your favourites is that you all get to taste each others' meals, so I can also highly recommend the Blackened Tuna Steak with apple, fennel and watercress ($28), the Pecan Tart with burnt bourbon (naturally) and a traditional New Orleans dessert; Beignets which are 50 times better than a doughnut and were served with peppered strawberries for $12. Yummo!

After stuffing ourselves silly with such deliciousness the wait staff made us feel very welcome to sit back and relax on the bench seats, and the night continued with lots of good chat as we enjoyed the sounds of the live band playing soulful tunes out the front of the restaurant. We can't wait to go back....and we did take note that we could easily squeeze the baby stroller next to our table without inconveniencing other guests. The count down is on.


Me with my gorgeous sister who has to be the most enthusiastic Aunty-to-be in the whole entire world.

No comments:

Post a Comment