Friday, 14 March 2014

This Week in My Garden

This orchid only flowers at significant moments, and now always in pairs-
even though her leaves are in a terrible state, poor ol' girl.

The last fortnight or so has been a bit overwhelming. The introduction of solid foods in to Lara's diet seems to co-exist with a massive interruption to our sleep. Our little lady who used to sleep for a minimum of seven hours, and often nine had a few nights there where she woke up every two to three hours. I turned in to a zombie. Luckily we are slowly getting things back under control and night sleeps seem to be extending to five hour stints (knock on wood). This has brought on another correlation with my mood suddenly improving and the house being slightly less of a disaster zone than it was at the beginning of this week. Lets face it, I go out to my garden for therapy whilst other people mop their floors, which seriously need doing, and yet I'm now writing, go figure. I'm sharing this info for two reasons 1) as a note to myself that getting out in my garden is a treat at the moment and I shouldn't judge myself for not growing the food on our table (most dinners are packed with herbs from the garden anyway), and 2) since one of my friends who has recently had a baby asked me how everything happens so easily for me, and I realised that my choice to not share the challenging parts of my life, which I don't find entertaining and chose not to dwell on, paints an unrealistic picture. Cue crying baby...I shall return later.

I'm returning much, much later, I'm guessing eight hours later. So the realistic picture is that being a Mum is hard work, it is a constant juggle and you never really switch off. Most days are unbelievably good, but every now and then when you are right in the middle of something and your baby wakes up you think "why couldn't you have given me just ten more minutes?" And there is nothing wrong with thinking that, it doesn't make you a bad Mum, it makes you a person that is adjusting to a HUGE change. So please don't think that I'm looking at the world through rose coloured glasses, I just don't share the dull parts since I try not to dwell on them. We all have good and bad days, don't worry, you aren't alone.

So, to the garden update. To my delight all four bean seeds that I planted early last week sprouted. I thinned them out to the strongest two (since I planted them in pairs) and tried my luck at transplanting the weaker seedlings. So far, so good. The smallest of them all didn't do so well with the heat wave yesterday, but it may bounce back, I haven't given up on it yet. Oh, and I also noticed a pea vine that popped up the other day after the seed lay dormant for months and I'd completely given up on it. Such a good surprise.

Bean seedlings emerging, now we cross our fingers for delicious, crispy veggies.

I'm also super excited by my first eggplant. I have been getting in all sorts of funny positions in my veggie garden to try and see the eggplant forming inside the flower without disturbing it in fear of its fragility. I would have loved it if Mark busted me with my bum up in the air and my head twisted under the eggplant bush like some sort of swamp bird. I probably would have encouraged him to take a photo just so I could laugh at how ridiculous I must have looked. When the first glimpses of eggplant emerged I sang "I've got an eggplant, I've got an eggplant, I've got an eggplant, hey, hey, hey, hey" whilst doing a little jig next to the veggie garden. As I often say to Lara these days "I'm crazy, but I'm fun".

My first eggplant ripening..lets hope the other flowers fruit soon.

Its delightful how much joy a garden can bring, particularly one that grows food, that you can eat!

Our new chickens Stevie and Snappy are also growing at an unbelievably fast rate. So much so that I've ordered a pet pen online so that they can have more space to run around in during the day since they can't join the rest of the brood whilst they are still eating their medicated food. The debate is out as to whether or not they are physically big enough to join Bernie and Holly, but since they need to be on their medicated food for a few more weeks I haven't thrown them in the deep end (yet). As for Snappy, I would really like to think of a nice, proper name for her, but since I'm still feeding her with a gardening glove on the name is sticking. Fingers crossed she is just a bit on edge from being all cooped up, and all the silly bird needs is a run.

I often forget about Mark's lemon and lime Citrus Splitzer tree since it is planted in the front garden. It has been giving us some delicious, juicy limes this season. There's still no sign of lemons, but the limes make up for it. I really need to remember to feed this poor tree tomorrow though. No doubt the only reason it is giving us limes is because I threw a whole heap of citrus feeder pellets at it months ago, but they aren't going to feed it forever. You reap what you sew as the saying goes.

My big job for tomorrow is to bath my dogs. For some reason my Labrador Baxter smells like popcorn when he is well past due for a bath. Sure, the smell is lovely, but the fur ALL around the house is doing my head in, particularly with a baby that loves army crawling to her Labrador and encouraging him to wag his tail so his whole body shakes fur everywhere. Lucky the two of them are so darn cute.

No comments:

Post a Comment